As a Toronto local, I often take our diverse and eclectic food scene for granted. I never realized that the ability to have empanadas one night and dumplings the next was a privilege offered to residents of a select few cities. So, I’ve compiled my favourite places to eat for students who may not be as familiar with the city. I’ll show you where to find amazing dishes from different corners of the world, and lucky for us, U of T is right in the middle of the action. Bon appétit!

Food trucks

The food truck culture is a big part of U of T’s food scene, with trucks lining UTSG from Robarts to Bahen, providing great options for food on campus.

• Luchi Food Truck, also known as the ‘pink food truck’— found near Bahen

Can’t get enough of the chicken sandwich wars? Grab one of the pink truck’s signature sandwiches and a 10 per cent discount by paying cash.

Recommended: Fried chicken sandwich

• Ideal Catering, also known as ‘the brown food truck’— found outside of Sidney Smith

I would be shunned if I didn’t mention the brown food truck, which is the most beloved truck on campus. Students even set up a GoFundMe to raise money for Hatice, a woman who works at the food truck, so she could visit her mother in Turkey. Whether you’ve just finished a class at Sidney Smith or need a study break, it’s a must try.

Recommended: Regular or supreme fries

Harbord Village

Located west of Robarts, Harbord Village is filled with restaurants, coffee shops, and specialty stores.

• Almond Butterfly — 100 Harbord Street

A cute local bakery serving vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free treats. It’s pricey but a great place to treat yourself.

Recommended: Cupcakes

• Burger Tribe — 490 Bloor Street West

To satisfy your smashburger — or veggie burger — cravings, support this local restaurant where you can get a stellar cheeseburger, fries, and drink for just $10!

Recommended: Everyday Special

Kensington Market

Known as Toronto’s most diverse neighbourhood, you can find a bit of everything in Kensington, which is a conveniently short walk from campus.

• Seven Lives Tacos y Mariscos — 72 Kensington Avenue

While Kensington is filled with taco spots, I keep coming to Seven Lives because the tacos are bursting with flavour and well worth the price.

Recommended: Fish taco

• Rasta Pasta — 61 Kensington Avenue

Rasta Pasta embodies Toronto’s diverse food scene, serving Jamaican-Italian fusion dishes, which sound like they shouldn’t work, but they do — definitely a place to stop by for a one-of-a-kind meal.

Recommended: Jamaican Mi Crazy Chicken

Chinatown

Located south of campus, Chinatown is a lively neighbourhood filled with Asian bakeries, dessert spots, and restaurants.

• Mi’hito Sushi Laboratory — 285 College Street

I was skeptical about sushi burritos, but after going to Mi’hito Sushi Laboratory, I realized my skepticism deprived me of my now favourite food. It’s just a sushi roll that hasn’t been cut up, made to order, exactly how you like it!

Recommended: Spicy Dragon

• Kinton Ramen — 51 Baldwin Street

Kinton is my favourite ramen spot in Toronto. Pro-tip: finish your bowl and you become a Kinton Bowler! You’ll get a rewards card and they’ll post your photo on their Instagram.

Recommended: Chicken Original

Ontario College of Art & Design University (OCAD) Campus

OCAD is another university located south of UTSG with amazing spots to grab food.

• Salad King — 340 Yonge Street & 224 Queen Street West

Salad King, home to my favourite Thai food in Toronto, is a great spot for spice lovers because you can add up to 20 chilli peppers to your meal. They also have a rewards card; vegan, gluten-free, and halal options; and 20 per cent discounts for students on weekdays from 2:00 to 5:00 pm!

Recommended: Islamic Noodles

• Mizzica Gelateria & Cafe — 29 McCaul Street

Gelato — Italian-style ice cream — tastes great all the time and not just in the summer. And since Mizzica opens at 9:00 am, you can even have it for breakfast.

Recommended: Pistachio gelato

Yorkville

Located east of campus, Yorkville is full of designer boutiques and fine dining. However, it still has great spots for students on a budget.

• Eataly — 55 Bloor Street West

Eataly contains sit-down restaurants, an option for take-out, and a grocery store. My favourite item is the focaccia — a type of Italian bread, sold for $3.90 in the prepared food section.

Recommended: Barese Focaccia

Now that you have my list, I encourage you to try a few items out, or go exploring with a few classmates. In a city with endless food possibilities, who knows where your tastebuds will lead you.