Truth be told, dorm life isn’t for everyone.

Past a certain point, there is something about the bleak eggshell walls and worn navy gym mats — I mean, mattresses — that seems so entirely unenticing. Thus, the decision is obvious: it’s time to start renting — cue the House Hunters theme song. However, before you step out into the terrifying nightmare of Toronto real estate, consider brushing up a bit on preparations — that is, mapping out the best neighbourhoods; contacting agents; and, most importantly, learning your future rights as a tenant.

For the most part, Ontario has relatively tenant-friendly housing laws, which is truly a shocker considering the ridiculous housing prices in Toronto. Real-estate laws are found in full under the 2006 Residential Tenancies Act, which details each and every right provided to tenants residing in Ontario and their landlords, from maintenance to contracting to pricing. I’ve explained below what I think are the most important laws for you to know as a tenant while renting.

Tenant selection

When it comes to considering your eligibility, landlords are entitled to a certain amount of background information as part of a security check on their end. This includes aspects such as the annual income of the individual covering the rent; if you have, or plan on owning, pets; if you have any smoking habits; and even your credit history.

However, as per anti-discrimination laws that the Human Rights Code (C.17 S.10) outlines, landlords are prohibited from asking for information pertaining to your personal identity, which includes but is not limited to age, gender affiliation, sexual orientation, relationship and children status, and citizenship status.

Your social upbringing should have no effect on your role as a potential tenant and your budding business with your landlord; any indication that it does should automatically be flagged.

Leasing contracts

Leases are generally pretty straightforward. As your official contract, a lease sets the ground rules and regulations for your tenant-landlord relationship. Most leases typically highlight three main agreements: the length of your stay, the amount of rent agreed upon, and the services and amenities included in your rent. You should discuss the details for all of these provisions with your landlord prior to the drafting of the lease, and it’s important that you both reach a verbal agreement before signing anything. The written lease is just legal proof of that agreement.

The signing of a lease signifies the start of your official tenancy period, when you are legally allowed to access the property in question. However, in the event that your lease expires, it does not mean that you are no longer an authorized tenant. In fact, it is illegal for landlords to evict you even if your lease ends. You simply change from being a leasing tenant to a month-by-month tenant — this means that as long as you pay your rent on time each month, it is your right as a tenant to keep living there, lease or no lease.

Rent increase

In today’s world of exorbitant gas prices and rising costs of, well, everything, rent increase is undoubtedly a large discussion point for everyone. Fortunately, Ontario has substantial rent control protocols in place that act against price gouging. I would argue that there are two major points to the rent control laws: timing and quantity.

In terms of timing, landlords are prohibited from increasing rent within the first 12 months of your tenancy. Even after that, they can only increase rent once per year, at least 12 months after the last rent increase.

In terms of quantity, rent increases are controlled on a yearly basis under Ontario housing laws. Each year, the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing consults data from the Ontario Consumer Price Index and subsequently releases a guideline limit, which is the maximum percentage amount that landlords can increase their rent. In 2020, the limit was 2.2 per cent. In 2021, the limit dropped to zero per cent as part of pandemic relief efforts, and in 2022, the limit moved to 1.2 per cent. Now in 2023, the limit currently stands at 2.5%. Essentially, this means that from now until 2023, if your landlord is eligible to implement a rent increase, they cannot hike up the price by more than 2.5 per cent of the original agreed upon rent. It’s important to know that this rule only applies to units that were built or occupied after November 15, 2018.

Eviction

Eviction is a difficult situation that comes in many different forms. Ontario likes to see eviction as a last resort option, and the Tenancies Act outlines a number of steps one can take to “fix the situation,” in lieu of straight eviction. Still, if you ever find yourself evicted, there is a process to follow as well.

So, if a landlord wants you out, can they evict you with proper notice? The simple answer is no, not usually. Even if they provide you with an official notice of eviction, you do not actually have to move out. In this case, if you are determined to stay, the landlord must file for an eviction order with the Landlord and Tenant Board and state their reason for wanting to evict you — some reasons may include that you haven’t paid the rent or that you broke the contract. Ultimately, the Landlord and Tenant Board will make the final decision for each case.

The only time the situation is fully in the landlord’s hands is if they want to live in the unit themselves, if they want to provide the unit as a living space for an immediate family member, or if they are selling the unit and the buyer plans on living in the unit.

If a landlord wants the property for any of these reasons, then they can take it back. However, they must give tenants anywhere from seven to 120 days notice, depending on their reason for eviction. On top of that, they must pay tenants at least one month’s rent as compensation, or in a completely separate contract, they must offer up another unit for rent.

Real estate can be a tricky world to dive into, especially in a city as vast and diverse as Toronto. From constant negotiation to maintenance to avoiding manipulative landlords, navigating the rental housing industry as a consumer comes with many hidden potholes and dangers. However, with the right tools and enough knowledge, there is a rightful place and home for everyone — including you.